That time has come, when my kiddos head back to school a little taller, nervous, and definitely excited about the new school year. As per our tradition, I have each of them stand for the first day of school pictures on our front porch. The exciting thing about this year was that they are standing under our new front porch pergola. Whoop! Whoop! We were able to create this front porch pergola over a few weekends for under $300 using some repurposed wood from our former backyard deck.
Front Porch Pergola for our Farmhouse
*this post contains affiliate links for more information check out my disclosure page here*
Our farmhouse has been screaming for a front porch ever since we moved in! Every farmhouse needs a porch. While we have been making changes to the front of our farmhouse over the years like adding new lighting, rocking chairs, our pallet sign and new landscaping we still really wanted to add a pergola. Below is a picture of the front of our farmhouse just last spring.
Why a pergola? Because it’s cheaper and easier than adding a covered front porch :). Bonus, you can have a pretty vine growing over it. I don’t have a ton of step by step pictures from this project because Jason did most of the work and I forgot to remind him to take pics along the way. Ha, despite blogging for 3 years sometimes we forget and this summer we really kept things simple and tried to spend as much time with our kiddos.
The first thing we did was take down the faux beam that required the tall members of our family… def not Jason & I 🙂 to duck down before going through our front door. He replaced the missing siding with some leftovers from the garage and used one side of the faux beam to cover the opening from where it had once been.
Using pressure treated boards from the back deck we took apart he mounted one to the house to attach the pergola to. We found some pre primed porch posts at Lowes for $90 each and decided to use them to attach the other end of the pergola to. Jason then added a board across the front of our porch connecting the two posts.
The porch posts were attached to our bluestone patio with post bases. Jason drilled holes in the stone and screwed the posts into the brackets.
Using a table saw Jason zipped down a few boards to go across the top of the posts for a vine to climb through.
We added a few more pressure treated boards going the opposite direction.
Jason faced the pergola with 1 by 8 PVC boards and some PVC trim to make it look nice. He also added crown and trim with PVC boards to give our pergola a more beefy and finished look.
As a final finishing touch we add 2 finals left over from our previous arbor.
Lastly, we primed and painted the posts.
I couldn’t be happier with how our front porch pergola turned out and can’t wait to decorate it for the fall!!!