Sharing all the tips & tricks for how to make homemade Strawberry freezer jam. Our family loves strawberry jam more than any other kind. There is no comparing store bought to homemade jam…homemade is SO much better!
I decided to freeze all the jam because its quicker & easier than canning it. I can make a years supply of jam for all six of us in just a few hours. I’ve included the recipe for 1 batch below.
Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam
*this post contains affiliate links for more information check out my disclosure page here*
Serving size – 1 batch of strawberry freezer jam
Ingredients for 1 batch of Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 4 – pints of strawberries 8 cups cut = 4 cups crushed
- 1 – pink box of Sure Jell (less or no sugar pectin)
- 3 cups sugar
*you can use the yellow box of pectin in place of the pink, it just calls for more sugar & less strawberries per batch*
For a year supply at our house, I went to the grocery store & bought 16 lbs of strawberries, 7 boxes of the pink boxes of sure jell (which again uses less sugar than the other kind), & lots and LOTS of sugar.
Instructions to make the Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 1) Wash your strawberries.
- 2) Cut the strawberries up and toss stems till you have 8 cups of cut strawberries.
- 3) Mash the strawberries in a bowl. You can either mash them by hand or with the help of a blender. I use my old bakelite potato masher for this job with the kiddos help. It crushes the strawberries perfectly!
* Quick Tip for Making Strawberry Jam – If your arms tire easily and don’t have a helper a quicker way to do this is with a blender. It does make the strawberries a little foamier and a little pinker but it amazingly fast! You can see the difference in the two different ways through the pics.
- 4) In a large saucepan add the sugar and pectin and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil for one minute (don’t forget to stir while waiting for it boil). Take off heat once the minute is up.
- 5) Stir in the crushed strawberries.
- 6) Pour into ball jars and leave about an inch of space at the top for when the jam expands. Do not fill the jars completely or you will be taking a chance of your beautiful mason jars exploding all over the inside of your freezer. Not a pretty sight, believe me!
- 7) Leave the jars out overnight to cool and set before freezing. You can see the difference in the color between the strawberries that were hand mashed and the ones that were mashed in the blender.
Don’t forget to add the lids! You will hear the delightful sound of popping lids throughout the night creating a tight seal on your strawberry freezer jam even without canning them.
The strawberry jars will last for a month in the fridge or a year in the freezer. Hope you enjoy your strawberry freezer jam & this post answers any questions you have about making it!
by Tara Lehman
We love strawberry freezer jam so much that we planted a home strawberry patch. You can read all about that HERE
The Best Pound Cake & Icing Recipe
I can’t wait to try this! We just love strawberry jam and this recipe looks perfect! I pinned it too! Thanks so much for sharing!
Thank you so much Carolann! Hope you enjoy making this strawberry freezer jam!
This looks so yummy. Cannot wait to try making this. We too love strawberries. Thank you for sharing, and Happy Mother’s Day!
I hope you will give this strawberry jam a try Ivory! It is such a simple recipe to make and is soooo good 🙂
It is really really yummy, i love strawberry jam and i should try to make it soon. Thanks for your sharing
Thank you so much Thomas! I hope you enjoy the strawberry jam!
My daughter asked me if I could make her some strawberry freezer jam like her grandma made.
She has fond memories of her dear grandmother, and strawberry jam is one of them.
When my daughter was 13 & going through chemo, her grandma loaded her up with this jam since many things didn’t appeal to her at the time.
So I searched recipes & yours is the one we will make. I’m certain she’s going to love it. Just like grandma’s. 😊❤
Thanks so much for stopping by to check out my strawberry jam recipe! Best wishes to making jam together!!!