Our kids have been bugging us to make a tire swing that is horizontal so 2 people could swing on at once.
The DIY tire swing we made was the easiest tire swing to set up. It was simple to create, cheap to buy, & was up in less than an hour!
Sharing all the tips & tricks for how to make a tire swing that your kids will LOVE & set up FAST!
Table of Contents
DIY How to Make a Tire Swing for 2 Kids (Easy Set Up in 1 Hour)
*this post contains affiliate links for more information click here*
Supplies & Tools Needed for How to Make a Tire Swing
- Used Tire (ask to keep 1 next time you replace your car or truck tires)
- Extra Long Tire Swing Strap (Extra Long (10 FT) Tree Swing Hanging Kit – Holds 1000 lbs. with Anti Breaking Cover & Safety Lock Carabiner + Detailed Hanging Instructions – Top Rated Nylon Swing Strap)
- Tire Swing Hardware Kit (Tire Swing Hardware Kit – Make memories for your kids, Contains 3 Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Eye Bolts with Flat Washers and Nylon Locking Nuts that Resist Rust)
- Polypropylene Rope (Attwood Braided Polypropylene General Purpose Rope Color may vary (Assorted color))
- A Strong Tree Limb!!! (Picking a STRONG & sturdy tree limb is the most important part of this DIY project for everyone’s safety)
- A Tall Ladder
Instructions for How the Make a Tire Swing DIY in 4 EASY Steps
Today, I took all my houseplants on their annual vacation. Sometimes, we all need a change of scenery & to just go outside! Especially when our kids are home all day long.
Step ONE – Where to Find Old Tires
Jason & I tend to be fairly tough on our tires….Hmmmm. So the last time Jason needed new tires for his truck, he asked the mechanic if we could keep one.
If you aren’t replacing your tires anytime soon, you can always ask around to see if any friends are… especially truck tires.
Truck tires are great because they tend to be larger & thicker than a typical car tire.
We probably should have asked to keep all of them because I had no idea how much fun our kids would have rolling the tires down our hill!
It was actually a lot of fun for everyone… 🙂
Step TWO – Hanging the Tire Swing Strap
After picking out the perfect tree limb, Jason leaned his tall ladder against the tree and hung the extra long Tire Swing Strap (which holds up to 1000 lbs 🙂 to our tree.
Step THREE – Drilling Holes in the Tire
He drilled 3 holes in the tire to add the DIY tire swing hardware kit. Super simple!
Step FOUR – Stringing the Tire with Outdoor Rope
We strung the tire up with outdoor rope using a tautline hitch knot.
Lastly, we burnt the ends of the rope using a lighter so they wouldn’t unravel.
We might cut the rope even shorter but haven’t decided just how long we need to keep it.
How to Make a Tire Swing for 2 Kids to Swing Together = DONE
The DIY tire swing has only been up for a few days but ALL four of my kids have enjoyed swinging on it, even the teenagers. 🙂
I hope y’all get to spend some time outside swinging under the shade of a tree this Spring!
Thanks so much for stopping by to see how to make a tire swing & I hope this inspires you & answers your questions of how to create a DIY tire swing at your home!
by Tara Lehman
Don’t forget to save & pin how to make a tire swing of your own!