Growing up every birthday we would have my Nana’s pound cake and vanilla icing. Nana with the help of my Grandpop made the best pound cake and icing:). Despite trying many times I have never been able to recreate her pound cake but I found a very close 2nd from Southern Living and I can make her icing:). These recipes are not for someone on a diet but are totally worth a diet day off!!! It also tastes and looks fantastic with fresh fruit in the center to celebrate our nation’s birthday! It might even be a little healthier eaten this way:).
Old Fashioned Pound Cake Recipe
– 4 sticks of butter (yup, 4)
– 2 3/4 cups sugar
– 6 eggs
– 3 3/4 cups flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 ground nutmeg
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 tsp vanilla
1) Beat butter in electric mixer.
2) Add the sugar slowly.
3) Add the eggs.
4) Add salt, nutmeg and flour slowly to the butter mixture alternately adding milk with flour mixture.
5) Stir in Vanilla.
6) Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 mins. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Nana’s Vanilla Icing
– 6 tablespoons butter
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1 lb box of 10x powdered sugar
– 3-4 tablespoons milk
1) Mix all the ingredients together till you get the right consistency.
2) Ice the cake:).
Here is a recent picture of all almost all of the ladies in my Nana’s family taken at our house last summer for Audrey’s birthday. So thankful that Audrey has these amazing women in her life and for dessert I am pretty sure we had pound cake!!!
We also love to enjoy this recipe on the 4th of July!!! It was fantastic with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries fruit in the center!
Sharing My Pound Cake & Icing Recipe with these wonderful blogs here.
*This post contains affliate links*