This week we are on our first beach vacation in over ten years! Who hoo! We are staying in Emerald Isle, NC in this amazing beach house with family. This place was recommended to us from some close friends and is just stunningly beautiful. We are so happy to be here.
Part of the fun of sharing vacation is sharing meals with one another. Everyone brings their best recipes and we eat in style :). For our dinner night we made a shrimp and crab boil. This was a simple, quick, and extremely good dinner to make. I adapted this recipe from one my girlfriend Elise had found on Pinterest. A few weeks ago we had stayed at their family’s cabin and they had served us a shrimp boil that was out of this world and Jason and I immediately knew that this was the meal we wanted to make on vacation. I adapted this recipe based to consist of ingredients my kids like to eat. Just make sure you have a big crab or canning pot to cook this in :).
Shrimp and Crab Boil Recipe
Ingredients (serves 16 people or 10 really hungry adults)
• 8 quarts of water
• 2 bottles of beer
• 1 3oz bag of crab boil (we used Zatarain’s)
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 4 onions peeled and quartered
• 1 whole garlic bulb ( cloves whole and peeled)
• 3 lbs red potatoes cut and quartered
• 10 ears of corn shucked and cut in half
• 3 lbs kielbasa cut in one inch strips
• 4lbs uncooked shrimp
• 2lbs crab legs
• Fresh bread and butter
1) Bring to rolling boil the 1st seven ingredients in a huge crab pot. (water, beer, crab boil, cayenne, salt, onions and garlic)
2) Toss in red potatoes for 15 minutes and turn burner to low.
3) Add kielbasa and corn for another 8 minutes.
4) Turn off burner and add shrimp and crab for fifteen minutes. Above is a pic of Jason and his brother peeling the shrimp.
5) Pour out water and dump out ingredients on some aluminum foil and dig in:)!
We ate this with some lemon wedges and extra old bay sprinkled on top. The men also sprinkled extra cayenne pepper on theirs. We like hot stuff in our family. We served it with fresh bread out of the oven with herb butter. For herb butter you just mix some ground thyme (substitute any of your favorite herbs) and minced garlic in with plain old butter.
Jason also made some Dipping Sauce for the Shrimp and Potatoes:) It was delish!!! To Make: ( Stir 60% mayonaise 40% cocktail sauce mix and then add Old Bay Seasoning to Taste…As Jason says the more the better:)
Everything was a hit!!! Below is the after:). It is officially our new beach tradition!
Don’t forget to Pin our Shrimp and Crab Boil!!!
You may also like these posts from Lehman lane…