Hi everyone! With the crazy cold weather we have had lately (hello, zero degrees over the weekend and it’s snowing as I write this:) I wanted to share 5 ways we stay warm in our drafty old house without turning up the thermostat. We keep our thermostat pretty low during the day and even lower at night so I have had to find ways to stay comfortable without spending lots of money:).
5 Ways We Stay Warm Without Turning Up Our Thermostat
Some links in this post are affiliate links. For more information, click here
1. Hot Water Bottles – Why don’t people use these anymore??? Hot water bottles are fantastic. A few years ago I bought Jason one for Christmas and he thought it was silly so it took a really cold night for him to be OK to try it and he was sold! Once filling the hot water bottle with water they stay warm all night. Seriously. I have since bought enough for everyone to have one in their beds, even Moose.
My kids line up to have theirs filled up on the cold nights. I have bought most of ours on sale at Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware after Christmas but you can also find them on Amazon.
2. A Fire – This one is kind of a no brainer but when our pellet stove or fireplaces are on the heater doesn’t turn on. It is amazingly cozy and relaxing to sit next to a warm fire. And during the years we lived in a house without a fireplace I have found that even a lit candle or oil lantern made me feel warmer:).
3. A Warm Drink – Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and hot chocolate at night is my winter routine:). For my sister’s wedding shower we had high tea and ever since then I have been drinking more tea in the afternoon. I found that I like my tea a lot better seeped in my Fiesta teapot rather than an ordinary mug. This
is my new favorite brand of tea.
4. Slippers & Sweaters – Keeping something warm on really makes me feel cozy whether I am outside or in. I always make sure to have my feet covered and my UGG slippers are just the best at keeping my feet warm.
5. Fleece Blankets – Everyone in my house has their own fleece blanket to keep them warm when watching TV or reading a book or sleeping in their beds.
My blogging friend Erin’s heater quit on her and she has some more tips to keep warm & cozy at her home! You can read her post here. I would love to hear any more tips you guys might have on how you keep warm in the winter. Hope you are staying warm!
Sharing My 5 Ways We Stay Warm Without Turning Up the Thermostat with:
French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday