Hi everyone! With the crazy cold weather we have had lately (hello, zero degrees over the weekend and it’s snowing as I write this:) I wanted to share 5 ways we stay warm in winter in our drafty old house without turning up the thermostat. We keep our thermostat pretty low during the day and even lower at night so I have had to find ways to stay comfortable without spending lots of money:).
5 Ways We Stay Warm in Winter Without Turning Up Our Thermostat
Some links in this post are affiliate links. For more information, click here
1. Hot Water Bottles – Why don’t people use these anymore??? Hot water bottles are fantastic. A few years ago I bought Jason one for Christmas and he thought it was silly so it took a really cold night for him to be OK to try it and he was sold! Once filling the hot water bottle with water they stay warm all night. Seriously. I have since bought enough for everyone to have one in their beds, even Moose.
My kids line up to have theirs filled up on the cold nights. I have bought most of ours on sale at Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware after Christmas but you can also find them on Amazon.
2. A Fire – This one is kind of a no brainer but when our pellet stove or fireplaces are on the heater doesn’t turn on. It is amazingly cozy and relaxing to sit next to a warm fire. And during the years we lived in a house without a fireplace I have found that even a lit candle or oil lantern made me feel warmer:).
3. A Warm Drink – Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and hot chocolate at night is how I stay warm in winter :). For my sister’s wedding shower we had high tea and ever since then I have been drinking more tea in the afternoon. I found that I like my tea a lot better seeped in my Fiesta teapot rather than an ordinary mug. This
is my new favorite brand of tea.
4. Slippers & Sweaters – Keeping something warm on really makes me feel cozy whether I am outside or in. I always make sure to have my feet covered and my UGG slippers are just the best at keeping my feet warm.
5. Fleece Blankets – Everyone in my house has their own fleece blanket to keep them warm when watching TV or reading a book or sleeping in their beds.
Thanks so much for stopping by to read my tips! I would love to hear any more tips you guys might have on how you keep warm in the winter. Hope you are staying warm!
Don’t forget to pin my tips for staying warm to your winter board!!!
You May also like these posts from Lehman lane…