Tuck finally has a new window! Woo Hoo! His new window has solved two problems. The first one being obvious natural light :). After all, Tuck’s room is a former closet and had no windows so no matter what time of day it was we always had to have a light on in the room. It is amazing how much light flooded the room when Jason opened up the wall. The second problem the window solved was curb appeal. We choose to put the window on a spot in the house that was completely bare of any interest. It was a long sad section of siding, right between the two chimneys you can see below. We purposely centered the window above the first floor window and made it as big as possible. We did this not only to ensure that it broke up that section of our home but also that it is big enough for a fireman with his air tank on his back to climb in:). Jason and I wanted to make sure our little man is as safe as possible and having survived a major house fire as a girl I always make sure there are multiple exits to escape! Now he has a window as well as two doorways.
The window we chose is a Marvin one with a red exterior to match the rest of the windows. If I had to chose a window I would never have chosen red but it was important to us that all the windows looked the same and Marvin windows in my opinion are the best and the window will last our lifetime in this house. Another thing Jason did was to add white trim to the new window. If you look at our house now you will notice that we have basic aluminum trim around our windows and doors. We are contemplating putting white trim around all the windows. When our house was built originally over a hundred years ago it would have had bulky trim around the windows and doors and would have had grids in all the windows. I found the rest of the grids around the house and painted them and Jason put them in. Its important to us to try to have the house look as true to the time it was built as we can. I think that helps give a house an identity and helps give a house more character and curb appeal.
To add the window Jason first framed out the inside header and sills to put the window on. Here is the wall before and after.
Then he cut the opening out.
He put the window in and waterproofed it.
Jason added the white trim to button up the outside of the window. In the next few weeks Jason is going to add a window seat and some bookcases on either side of the window :). I can already envision Tucker sitting at the window looking out onto our driveway looking through his picture books.
Here is what the window looks like today finished and the trim painted to red to match the rest of the house.
To see more of the projects we did in this room….
– Click here for how we added built in bookcases and a window seat.
– Click here to see what this room looked like when it was our master closet.
– Click here for the final reveal of his finished room.