I am sharing our family’s egg and sausage casserole recipe. I make it for breakfast every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter morning because it’s our family’s favorite. It is incredibly simple to make and is prepared the night before so there is little more to do but put it in the oven for breakfast the next morning. It does take 1 1/2 hours to bake so make sure you give yourself enough time. Growing up my mom would put the egg and sausage casserole in the oven as soon as we woke Christmas morning. That way breakfast was ready just as we were finishing up opening our presents :).
Egg & Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 8 slices of bread (white or wheat – whatever you have on hand)
- 1 lb sausage (cooked & crumbled)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 package of fresh mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 3 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Oven at 300 degrees – serves 6
1) Grease a 9 X 13 baking dish
2) Toast the 8 slices of bread and cut them up into small squares and spread them across the baking dish.
3) Add the cooked and crumbled sausage on top of the toasted bread squares.
4) Spread the 2 cups of shredded cheese on top of the sausage and bread.
5) Cut the fresh mushrooms and spread on top of the cheese.
6) Mix together the beaten eggs, mustard powder and 2 cups of the milk and pour on top of the casserole.
7) Cover the baking dish with saran and refrigerate overnight.
8) In the morning mix together 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup & 1 1/2 cups of milk and pour on top of the casserole dish.
9) Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
Hope you will give this egg & sausage casserole a try!
Don’t forget to Pin our Egg & Sausage Casserole Recipe!!!
You may also like these recipes from Lehman lane…
*this post contains affiliate links for more information please check out our disclosure page here*