I am sharing my hands down favorite key lime pie recipe with you guys today. I have been known to bake 2 of these key lime pies and eat one just myself while sharing the other pie with my family 🙂
I found this recipe over a decade ago when a friend made me key lime pie when I was pregnant with our 12 year old. This easy recipe is based on one I found in Bon Appetit but I tweaked it a little using ingredients we usually have on hand here.
It is a 2 layer recipe so I divided up the different layers in the ingredient section. Make sure to leave enough time for the pie to cool after baking!
Key Lime Pie Recipe
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup granola ( we used some with almonds)
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweet condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sweet condensed milk
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the Crust – blend, granola, graham crackers crumbs, and sugar with the melted butter.
I like to use our electric food blender to chop up the granola & graham crackers.
- 2. Press the crumb mixture into a pie dish. Bake until golden brown, approx. 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove pie crust and let it cool.
I would not recommend skipping this step and using store bought pie crust. It’s just not the same!!! You will not be disappointed!
- 3. Baked Layer – whisk sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks and pour on top of your homemade crust. Bake until custard sets approx. 25 mins.
- 4. Chill until room temp. Make sure you wait till it cools otherwise your top layer will be a melted mess :).
- 5. Chilled Layer – Beat cream cheese, sweet condensed milk, lime juice, sugar, and vanilla. Pour over your cooled baked layer. Smooth top and cover and chill until firm for at least 4 hours.
- 6. Cut and Enjoy!!!