Ever since we have moved into our old farmhouse I have struggled with how to organize and decorate our entryway. I have had 5 different pieces of furniture (no joke) in our foyer in the last 2 years, that’s a lot of moving furniture:). Jason doesn’t love my furniture arranging exercises as much as I do. He would like to know where he can put his keys when he comes home from work. Below is the red desk I had in here last fall. Although it looked great it was a tight squeeze into the bathroom and we couldn’t open the coat closet all the way either. The red desk is in Ryan’s room now.
This is what our foyer looked like a few weeks ago with my black secretary I had bought for our 1st house. Although I love the look of it in the foyer I couldn’t open the drawers all the way. I store craft supplies in here too and it isn’t the most convenient place to store glue and glitter:). The kids like to make art projects regularly and in secret and I am all for encouraging their artsy side but like to supervise the process in a controlled and easy to clean up area:). It also blocked a heating and air conditioning vent which is usually not a good idea when you live in a very old drafty house! The secretary is currently in our kitchen but I have a feeling we might be moving it again…. Shhh, don’t tell Jason:).
Part of the reason I have spent so much time arranging, organizing, and decorating our foyer/ entryway is because it’s the first room anyone sees (us included ) when they walk into our house. It’s that first impression much like curb appeal that is important. I want our entryway to feel clean and welcoming when walking in and having it cluttered with the wrong furniture didn’t help. We had recently figured out solutions for our shoes (DIY closet shoe cubby) and our coats and bags (old door turned coat rack) but we still needed something for our keys and mail. I also wanted a pretty spot to decorate seasonally.
Here’s one more look of the before….just one blank wall.
Jason went to Lowe’s and bought the wood to make it. We used all select (stain grade) pine wood because we wanted a smooth surface to paint. We started by adding 1x4s to the wall to give it a board and batten look. He used his finish nailer to attach the boards to the wall studs.
Jason had purchased 16″ wide pine edge glued panels to create the legs and top. We used landscape fabric to create a template for the curved legs. We just kept cutting until we liked the shape of the curve. Once we were happy with the shape we traced the outline with a pencil and cut them out using a jigsaw. We gave the curves of the legs a good sanding to knock down any ridges and rough spots. Initially Jason just attached these to the vertical boards running on either side with finish nails.
Next we added the top to the legs. We cut the top to be 1″ wider on either side and 1″ deeper than the legs and attached it with some finish nails. To really secure the table to the wall Jason used a horizontal board that butted up to the top of the table and screwed this to the vertical studs in the wall. Once that board was secure Jason was able to screw up into that board through the bottom of the table so you wouldn’t see the screws. The kids could now hang on the table and it wouldn’t budge :).
To trim out the table top we added a 1 x 1.5 underneath the top and around the legs. We faced the table with a nice poplar 3/4″ cap molding and added a base shoe molding upside down underneath the cap molding. Here’s some closeups of the molding we used. The first is the molding for inside the board and batten wainscoting, the second is what we used for the face of the table, and the third is the shoe molding we put on top of the 1 x 1.5 butting up against the cap.
All of the wood used was bought at our local Lowe’s. It cost us a little less than $100 for the supplies. We did already have the paint and some of the trim used on the table.
Overall the table is 46″ tall and 30.5″ wide at the widest spot (molding included) and 13.5″ deep (including molding). The legs are 37″ tall not counting the 5.5″ base molding and 12″ deep at the top. We also added a small shelf under the table top for my mail basket. That shelf is 4.5″ tall and 12″ wide.
We used 3/8″ bead molding for inside the board and batten wall (this molding was only $2 each for an 8 ft section) and we also added small crown molding to trim out the top of the shelf to give it a more finished look.
Jason added the rest of the trim to the board and batten wall and added a shelf for my mail basket and I got to painting!
And here is our finished entryway built-in table below:).
I love the simplicity of it. Just big enough for what we need, a basket for keys (for Jason) and a basket for mail and a little space left over to decorate:). We also have plenty of room for my Longaberger umbrella basket.
I also added our collection of rain/gardening or in Tucker’s case “everyday” boots by the door. I can’t decide if I like our entryway with them out or in our shoe cubby.
What do you guys think, with or without boots?
You know what Jason’s favorite part of this DIY project is…. I can’t move this piece of furniture. Ha, that must be why he likes built ins so much because I can’t move them. He also has a perfect place to put his keys:). I still have a few things I would love to change in our foyer like a beefier newel post and a dutch door but those things will definitely have to wait. I will be back next week to share our fall home tour:). Thanks so much for stopping by,
Don’t forget to Pin our DIY Entryway Built in Table!
Since writing this post our entryway/ foyer table I shared a guest post with Remodelaholic where they drew up a FREE building plan of our table!!! Woo Hoo! To check that out go here.
You May Also like these posts from Lehman Lane…
*this post contains affliate links for more information, check out our disclosure page here*